Pictures as promised

So, it is a lot trickier than I had anticipated to upload photos on here but I finally figured it out. Hopefully. As promised here are some pics of my new skirt. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of it from the front. I think at the time I was subconsciously hoping that if I took them at an angle I would look slimmer. I don't think it worked but anyways here it is. Side one.

Side two.
I have decided that I LOVE it. I especially love the blue flowered fabric. But I also really like the grey, it is so versatile. Another tip, when sewing with a pattern that is one way (the blue flowers) make sure when you cut out the pieces that the pattern is all facing the same way. When I cut out the blue, I just folded the fabric long ways and then one piece was upside down. Luckily I had enough along the sides to cut out another back piece, but I had to put a seam down the middle.
Another concurrent project is these little skirts and T's for my daughters that are 5. They are just starting kindergarten which gives me a little more time to sew.


So I just got a new serger and was so excited to try a rolled hem. These little ruffles turned out really cute I thought. A word of advice, sew the side seams first and then serge the bottom. I don't like the way the bottom turned out at all. Another thing I did, just to save money, is only buy the woolly nylon thread in red and then did the other 2 threads in the brown I already had. You can barely notice the brown because it's the red that loops over the edge.



I did the appliques two different ways and I must say I like this first one better. Although it will probably fray over time I think it just adds to the charm. It looks much less messy and it doesn't stretch the t-shirt fabric at all. However, if you have tear away backing or something else to stiffen fabric while appliqueing you could do either. I don't have any though.








Happy Sewing Everyone!



 

4 comments:

Bi-Ped said...

YAY! LOVE the post!

Amie said...

I like the little girls clothes!!

Unknown said...

cool blog Heidi. It looks fun. I dont think you explained the appliques very well though, what were the two different ways that you did it? It's hard to see in the pictures. Just some consturctive critisism! :)

Heidi said...

Hey Erika, you can click on the pictures to make them bigger. And thanks, I will try to be more specific.