I'm not very good at prioritizing. I usually do all the things that I kind of have to get done or I just want to do before I get around to the things that I really should be doing or absolutely need to do. I think a lot of people have that problem. Usually it ends up in no supper ready for my poor husband and girls but a lot of sewing done (or just a lot of fiddling on the computer or something equally useless). The other day was no exception. I got home and looked at my entrance and, even though it is fall and the snow boots will soon come out, I decided I HAD to sew a shoe holder. As you can see in the before picture our entrance was in desperate need of help. With three little girls we tend to accumulate a LOT of shoes. So after sewing all afternoon while my 18 month old, lovingly nicknamed "Baby" by her sisters, was napping I ended up with a very useful and quite nice looking shoe holder. All in all I was very impressed with it. I did have to leave Baby in her crib to play for half an hour after she woke up because I wasn't done but she seemed to enjoy the solitude.


Before



After!

Even some of my shoes fit in. I used an unbleached cotton curtain my mom gave me and serged all the edges in brown and I think it turned out very smart looking. And the best thing about making it myself (other than that it was practically free) is that it fits my space PERFECTLY.
Unfortunately my twins got home from kindergarten and Jeff from work right then and I had to feed them spaghetti for supper . . . again.
Another project that worked out better than I had planned is re-usable snack and sandwich bags. I was using so many now that the girls are in school. I felt like it was such a waste so I went to the fabric store and found some waterproof nylon for about $8 a meter and bout half a meter. So for about $4 I made 4 snack size bags and 2 sandwich size bags and I'm not done yet. I still have some more of the nylon to make a couple more bags. The girls each got 2 snack bags for their lunch kits and Jeff got one (very manly) sandwich bag (pictures forthcoming) and here is Baby with her specially made one that matches the top I made for her birthday this year. I put a little handle on hers too, like a little purse.
They all close with thin strips of hook and loop tape. I got the idea from Etsy as usual. The only thing I don't really like about them is the wet stuff, especially carrots, dry out a little and the dry stuff, like pretzels or crackers, get a little moist. Not a lot just a little bit, it just makes them not quite as crunchy. I think it is because they don't seal air tight. It is a small price to pay for the environment though.








 

6 comments:

Abby Metz said...

Heidi I didn't know you were a blogger! I'm not much of a seamstress, but I love to see what others can do! LOVE the shoe-holder! Great idea! (I have also spent a few days absorbed in a project and the house is a disaster and supper has yet to be made by the time Shaun gets home!)

Unknown said...

do you think that this would work with a shower curtain too? just curious, I don't know if you can sew through something like that. I thought that a shower curtain might be easier to clean mucky stuff off. Just curious.. what do you think?

Unknown said...

Wow, awesome shoe holder and really cool blog so far! i just have to figure out how to subsribe so i can read new posts as soon as they come out!

Unknown said...

So, where do the girls hang their jackets now though?

Heidi said...

Thanks guys! Tiff, you could definitly use something plastic but it would rip pretty easy. This one is easy to clean though. I just have to throw it in the washer and dryer. Erika, we have that coat rack that we have been using for a while.

Unknown said...

awesome, this is great, I want to play on here to.. how do I share some fun ideas?